Feeling lost, confused, disoriented when it comes to social media?
Whoa, slow down partner. Know Social advices you start small and think big. Create a social media policy as the foundations of your social media strategy. The policy will help to successfully integrate social into your team, department or organization.
A social media policy provides opportunities for team members to build community and relationships, promote organizational values and generate awareness about your organizations mission. A social policy is different from a social media usage guide or social network best practices.
Essential elements of a social media policy include:
- a statement that the organization’s broader ethical guidelines also apply to social media.
- reminders of individual responsibility and liability
- reminder that staff must post disclaimers that they do not speak for the organization
- disclosure of affiliation with the organization when posting
- respect for copyright and fair use laws
- honoring the confidentiality of proprietary or internal information
- prohibitions on hate speech, ethnic slurs, etc
- privacy and discretion reminders
Implementing the policy requires training with specific examples, notify team members and store the policy where it can be easily found.